Correcting a Misaligned VGA Image on your Monitor or TV in Xorg, e.g. when you see a black border or frame, the image badly aligned to one side of the screen

When I wanted to connect my TV via VGA out to my netbook, the image displayed started with a black frame on the left side and was missing a part on the right side. It only occurred in FullHD resolution (1920x1080), during boot and in other resolutions it was fine. Just for fun I contacted the TV manufacturer, but of course they didn't know any help but "try to install the newest driver for your graphics card".

I tried to google the problem in various ways -- without success. But I had had a rough idea already that it was probably due to the detailled timing settings of the VGA output. In my Computer Monitor, there was an auto-adjust and a manual adjust function for such occurrences, but here it was missing. Today I googled again, this time using some additional terms and now I finally have the solution: xvidtune.

Update: Ok, it isn't quite that easy I see. You need/can do this via xrandr, though: You need to press show in xvidtune, then copy that mode and add and activate it via xrandr:
xrandr --newmode "1920x1080-5" 148.50 1920 2056 2100 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode RGB0-1 "1920x1080-5"
xrandr --output RGB0-1 --mode "1920x1080-5"
Now it should work! ;)

As one of my major reasons for creating this blog, I hope this will be found by google to help out other users, as so frequently in the past already. Let me know how this works for you in the comments!

If you like this post, share it and subscribe to one of the RSS feeds so you don't miss the next one. In any case, check the related posts section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Feel free to write anything you wish. Selected comments and questions will be published.