- Get a current wine version (1.1.3+)
- Download the Chrome offline installer.
- Install normally, best with a fresh wine installation.
- Go into the install directory (e.g. #cd ".wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/
/Local Settings/Application Data/Google/Chrome/Application") NOTE: this path is not exactly the same for everyone
- Start chrome like this: wine chrome.exe --new-http --no-sandbox
- Disable URL typo correction.
- Disable website suggestions.
- Disable Google Ad cookies.
- Quit Chrome. Then change the browser's unique identifier in "User Data/Local State" to the values from Google Chrome Portable to (hopefully) prevent Google from identifying your personal browser copy:
And now finally enjoy your privacy-enhanced Google Chrome browser! :)
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that Google hasn't hidden even more spying features in this otherwise pretty neat little browser.